CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A yummy kind of day!

What am I doing today? It is a glorious, beautiful sunny day here and days like this make me think of summer treats. My author friend Jenyfer Matthews has an amazing recipe for banana bread she's shared with me (check her blog, I know it's there, too) and I've been thinking the only way this yummy treat could be any yummier would be if it had a scoop of chocolate gelato beside it. So here's my recipe for chocolate gelato. I'm making that this morning, and Jenyfer's banana bread this afternoon. By dinnertime we'll have a wonderful desert!!


Enjoy!!

Chocolate Gelato

3 cups whole milk

1/4 cup sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

8 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Bring 2 1/4 cups milk to a boil in a heavy saucepan.


While milk is heating, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and 1/4 cup cold milk in a bowl until smooth. When milk on stove boils, whisk this mixture into boiling milk and bring to boil again, whisking all the while. Whisk in pot for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.

Bring remaining 1/2 cup coldmilk just to a boil in a separate heavy saucepan. When boiling, remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let stand until chocolate melts, then whisk until smooth. Add to bigger pot, then force entire mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cool slightly, stirring often to prevent a skin from forming. Cover surface with wax paper and chill until cold, at least 2 hours.

Freeze mixture in ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hardened, about 4 hours. Let soften 5 minutes before serving.

*This recipe is originally from Gourmet, 2003, but I've modified it somewhat. I'd like to think I improved on it! :)

0 comments: